discontinue light?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by intownfarmer, Jun 21, 2009.

1. intownfarmer

intownfarmer In the Brooder

May 3, 2009
    I have 10 seven week old chicks in my coop. I have the light on 24/7 and it is getting in to the 70's during the day and 50's-60's at night. It is safe to discontinue the light at this point?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If they are 7 weeks old, they are usually feathered out sufficiently. No need for the heat light anymore unless you know it's going to get real cold... ( below 40).

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Yes, you can discontinue the light at that age with those temperatures. They are feathered out enough. My circumstances were different, but I stopped the light during the day a couple of weeks before leaving it off at night amd mine were off the heat light totally at 4 weeks. My lows at night were in the 70's then.

If they are used to light 24/7, you can expect them to protest some when it gets dark. It's going to be new and strange to them. It won't hurt them to protest and they will get over it pretty quickly, but be prepared.

4. intownfarmer

intownfarmer In the Brooder

May 3, 2009
    thanks!

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I totally agree with ridgerunner. Actually if you follow the instructions from most hatcheries, it's
    90 - 95 week one
    85 - 90 week two
    80 - 85 week three
    75 - 80 week four
    70 - 75 week five
    After which, they don't need a heat light unless it's extremely cold and/or wet.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  6. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    There was a post a while back and we were talking about judging the lamp/light based on their behaviour. Try to dc it, and watch them. If they are peeping loudly and hudddled together, they probably need it back.If you give it to them and they settle right down, you'll know you were right in giving them their light back.

Good luck!

7. roaminggnome61

roaminggnome61 In the Brooder

Jun 7, 2009
    Upper Sanduksy, OH
    My girls were doing their best to get away from the light and they are 4 weeks old. I have just moved them to their permanent lodging, so hopefully they do not freak out at the darkness. There are lights on in the yard throughout the night, so they will not be in total darkness.

8. vwoods

vwoods Songster

Apr 25, 2008
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    I put my 5 weekers out with the big girls and rooster ( in dog crate in the coop) about 2 weeks ago. The first night was the coldest - down to 48 and I woke up at 5 in a panic and went out to check on them and they were fine. Since then they have done great and are now up on the roosts with the big girls at night - no more dog crate. Your little ones should do fine! They are tougher than we think!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: