Discourage chickens from roosting in coop door

kenyabob

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
I have three crested polishes that love to roost at the opening to the coop at night. There is a tiny lip to the door that they think is a perfect perch. There is enough space for two at a time, so the third rests on top of the racks I built inside the coop with the other chickens. I want for them all to get up there, however. Is there something I can do to easily dissuade them from perching there?

My chicks were roosting on top of my predator proof window screens beside the roosts, so I took some small plywood scraps and set them at an angle to keep them off. They knocked the pieces off a few times, but I kept putting the pieces back up and removing the chickens from their off limits perch, and I think they finally got the message.

Not sure if that's an option for you, but a picture might help us make better suggestions if not.

I'm not quite picturing this. Are they doing this when the popdoor is open? It'd be much safer with it closed at night, which would then of course prevent the roosting problem too. Or is there somehow space for them to perch there even with the popdoor closed, in whch case perhaps you could post a pic so we can envision the situation?

Also, are there other chickens in this coop? The answer to that might hint at a reason/solution.

Pat

Just pick them up & put them on the correct roost for several nights in a row til they get the idea.
idunno.gif

Here is a photo of the chickens at the door. The main roost is right behind them.

chickens.jpg

They are up there because it is higher than the roost. They want to be as high as possible. If you move the roost higher than the top of the ramp they'll move up there. Mine sleep on the rafter beams.

Sorry, my last note may have been misleading. The roost you see in the picture is just a yard roost. I have posted an interior shot of the coop to give you a better idea.
photo2.jpg

Quote:
Oh gosh, you got me now. maybe they want to be first in line to get out in the morning? Chickens do have minds of their own. I have a BLRW who roosts inside a cabinet. I HAVE to get busy and make a door for it soon. Well, whatever the reason they look cute doing it!

Back
Top Bottom