discouraged again

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kelliepulido, Sep 1, 2009.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I have 4 babies out.1 more that is almost zipped but has been like that for over 24hrs.he will more than likely not make it.the rest of the 18eggs are not doing anything.I candled at day 17 then set the bator everything looked good at that time.the humidity and temps have been right on the money.I nver opened the bator.Today is day 21 should I get a new bator?

2. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    and your sure on your settings??? did you calibrate your hygrometer? I didnt know to do mine...and mine was off 8% and we know that can be alot....

3. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    i bought new therm.and hydro and had 3 in the bator roughly all said approximately the same.I will wait anther day or so to see if some of the others pip or not.

4. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    I would help the stuck zipper (but that's just me). Kind of indicates that your humidity might be low.

5. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I am afraid to open it and ruin the hatch

6. 2txmedics

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    mine was also new, bought it new, used it, had a bad hatch...then someone said calibrate...did u? ahhh no, didnt know too...said most meters all come from store bad...dont know if it shipping or packing or where they were done at...but they mess up. So I did and it was off by 8%, so I needed to add 8% to my actual reading it was showing, which means my hatch was really sitting at a high humidity.

then I bought a new one last week for my new bator...calibrated it and its off 15%....so lessoned learned for me, calibrate always before using.

7. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I didn't how do you do it?Can you post the link

8. 2txmedics

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    1/2 cup salt
    1/4 water

in cup stir good and make sure its mixed good

place cup in ziplock bag to fit

place meter in the same bag with the cup

seal and let sit for 12hrs...at the end of that time, it should read 75%

if it doesnt then add the number its missing everytime you use it. They can not be fixed but you can still use it...

so reads: 32 and its off lets say 6 then add 32 and 6...your reading is 39%

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  9. isadream

isadream Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Are these shipped or your own eggs? I know my own egg do tons better then my shipped eggs.

10. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    grab it out quickly, and if its almost zipped around just pull off the top shell, if it has zipped around the yolk is absorbed already and needs to get out, and is most likely stuck or is just a weak chick and may not make it anyway but its worth a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by