Discouraged new Silkie Mom

SilkieRancher

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 2, 2017
Hi I'm a new silky mom I got six juvenile birds that are young but coop ready not even sure if they are all girls yet one of them became very mean and started attacking the rest I attempted to separate her and then re-integrate but she did not stop pecking their heads when they were trying to sleep and she was twice their size. She (or he) came down with a sneeze and a swollen eye I took her to the vet which cost an arm and a leg and they made me sign some paper that I could never eat her eggs. I fed her the antibiotics they gave me and she got better but after saving her she actually killed one of my other chickens and I took her back to the place I got her. I was heartbroken she killed the sweetest littlest one that let me hold her I don't even think that the mean one was a real full blood silky. The four remaining silkies have the same thing sneezing Bubbley noses and crusty eyes so when I ask for meds from the vet for the rest of my flockbut they would not help unless I Brought each one in individually for an exam at a price point I couldn't afford. I talk to someone who said to try tetracycline from the fish store could help which I'm doing now they seem a little better, it's been a week and they are still sneezing but they eat a lot and seem to have plenty energy. Anyway I feel like I'm in over my head and could use some encouragement. The place I took "Satan chicken" (as my friends dubbed it) back to said they would have to cull it because they could never risk exposing any other chickens to what it had and it could be a carrier even though it was all better now. When I first bought my chickens from them and ask what you do when chickens get sick they told me that they had natural pathic herbs in their water to get them well again, and about face from what they just told me about the mean chicken. I'm so confused can They ever get better and be integrated with other chickens?

Feed them crushed hard boiled egg with dried or fresh oregano to help with respritory health. It is possible that when there are ZERO symptoms of ill health that yes, they can be integrated back. If they are showing ANY signs on illness, do not put them back with the other birds. You will only have more problems to deal with when your whole flock comes down sneezing. You can try VetRx (look up online how you can use it). You can buy it online at a website called Jeffers. I'm sorry you're having such a rough silkie-start. Good luck!

I'm so sorry your mean silkie was so mean☹️,my meanie was a rooster and I gave him away, I've found the aggressive silkies are always roosters .
They do all have personalities.

I had a flock that as soon as spring arrived got sneezy .

I was told to feed them garlic and apple cider vinegar in the water . I did that and they all recovered ... eventually.

Back
Top Bottom