1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discovered:60+ Cockfighting Roosters-CAGED. What should I do?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by consciousvoice63, Dec 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. consciousvoice63

consciousvoice63 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Mission Hills
    For almost half a year I knew someone owned several roosters nestled some where in my neighborhood, because I could hear them in the distance(about 50ft. or more) every morning when I walked my dogs. I knew they were on the other side of the street from were I walked my dogs. I've always wanted to see these roosters and have gone looking for them, but only got that far, until now.

Today I decided to investigate were the roosters lived, so I went on my bike and targeted the noise. Stopping next to a neighboring house that looked unoccupied, I heard the roosters even louder and went near the house to check if I could get a better look. I looked over the fence into the yard and saw a spacious yard with a lengthy structure in the back corner.

I found the house who was keeping the roosters, but I wanted to make sure that this was it. The owners of the house were outside in the driveway cleaning up leaves; I went up to them and told them a story I made up that I found a rooster about a month ago, the story was a half truth because I did actually find a rooster( his name is Archie, he passed away:'{ ) but 6 months ago, and was holding him at my house. And some how we talked for awhile and the owner and his son( he was my age:19 or 20) pridefully showed me his roosters. As we walked over to the roosters, the owner told me that one of his friends, an ''ex-cop'' saw me looking over and thought I was going to burglarize someone's house. Luckily I went in time because the owner told me that he had his gun on him and told his friend that I was ''okay''. I thought holy poop I could have gotten killed.

I got to see all of the roosters in one section that were lined in 4-5 columns with 8 roosters in each row, some cages had bantam hens along with the roosters. On the other section, there were even more roosters that were squawking and impatiently moving in their cages. I masked that I cared for these roosters, and asked them casual questions such as, ''How many do you have?'', ''What breeds do you have here?'', ''Where do you buy their food?'' Why do you have so many roosters? '' Don't the neighbors complain?'', and so on. They cheerfully answered my questions and I would act astonished to hear what they said. Then, we walked back to their house and I talked to them and eventually ''befriended'' the son. We talked for awhile about were we went to high school and about college, and finally I rode my bike back to my house. When I got back home, I went online to report this to the Animal Cruelty Task Force. I spoke with someone but didn't report it because first needed the address of the house, so tomorrow early in the morning I'm going to get it down.

I'm concerned that these guys will do something to me or my love ones if they find out were I live. I shouldn't have gone over to speak with them but it's already too late, to regret. I'm doing this for the animals' well-being. I want shut these guys down. But I keeping thinking to myself if I should wait for a week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, or report it now.

What do you think I should do, and do you think I should have done things differently?

2. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Wow that's quite the story! What where his answers to your questions? Are they actually using them for cock fighting? That's a lot of Roosters!

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Just because they have a lot of roosters does not mean they fight them. The fact that they showed you their place and the chickens should have shown you that they have nothing to hide. What are you going to report them for? Caring for their chickens? There is no law against having a lot of roosters. Unless they are mistreating them or fighting them...what is the problem? I don't understand what the problem is?
    sharon
    Just re-read your title....game roosters have to be kept separated or they will kill each other. they are not trained to do that...it is simply how they are. Some people cage them...some tie them out on cords. You have to protect them from each other. Just because they are caged or tied out does not mean they use them for fighting. That is how you have to keep them. Many, many people are raising these breeds to preserve and enjoy them...not for fighting.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    you could have just as easily been at my house...

many of us raise game cocks...

glad it wasn't my house you came to...goes to show you why folks won't show their animals to people

5. consciousvoice63

Apr 23, 2011
    Mission Hills
    Yeah, it is but it's really sad to know how these roosters are living.
    He answered that the neighbors have complained about the noise, but they couldn't do anything because he said, ''This is an agricultural area. They've complained but couldn't do poop.''

edited: We live in a suburban community, not in the country.

I also found that he goes to the same feed store that I go to. I've never seen him or his son there.

I didn't ask him directly if they were fighting them because I didn't want him to get suspicious. But he let go when we started talking about a particular rooster that had his comb. He said he hasn't cut it off yet but was going to. I asked for what? and he said, '' ...because when they fight it get cut up and bloodied.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  6. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    WHy not go back again tomorrow and really get to know them and let them teach you about their birds. I think you will be surprised at how neat they are.
    sharon

7. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Quote:You really need to go back and learn more before you jump to conclusions. The cocks combs are frequently dubbed (or cut) not so that the people can fight them but so that if they do tangle up they won't bleed to death....mostly now, though, they are dubbed simply because that is how the breed is shown....like clipping the tails or ears of some dogs.

8. consciousvoice63

Apr 23, 2011
    Mission Hills
    Quote:Welasharon, they do fight them as he has told me as I asked him indirect questions. They showed me their place because they didn't see me as a threat. I told them that I owned chickens and they assumed that I was okay with cockfighting, plus I'm Mexican and they mistook me for someone else.
    Nothing to hide? Welasharon, they have more than 60 cockfighting roosters. Well, I don't mind if they have lots of chickens but if they fight them, then that's another thing. Maybe I should write more details about what I heard them say.

I know that they have to be separated, but they have no protection against the cold weather or the rain. Come on, they don't like living like this...??

9. consciousvoice63

Apr 23, 2011
    Mission Hills
    Quote:You really need to go back and learn more before you jump to conclusions. The cocks combs are frequently dubbed (or cut) not so that the people can fight them but so that if they do tangle up they won't bleed to death....mostly now, though, they are dubbed simply because that is how the breed is shown....like clipping the tails or ears of some dogs.

He said himself that when they fight it gets in their way. I'm not jumping to any conclusions as he has said it himself.

10. consciousvoice63

Apr 23, 2011
    Mission Hills
    Quote:Yeah, I would be genuinely open to that, but these roosters are being used for fighting. I would like to see how they care for them and treat them. But like I mentioned I don't know what kind of people I'm dealing with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by