1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discovered a great comforting tool!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Trizzy123, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Trizzy123

Trizzy123 New Egg

Mar 19, 2016
    I have five 8 day old chicks, and being a total animal lover, I of course want to do everything possible to make them happy. Thinking they might want something to cuddle with, I came upon the idea of tossing a couple swiffer dusters into the brooder (not the wand, just the puff). Boy do they LOVE it. They snuggle right up next to them.

This is only my second batch of chicks I've raised, so anyone that wants to chime in with safety precautions please do! Obviously watch to make sure the babies aren't too hot or are eating the dusters. Mine are just using them as their "momma", and are as content as can be!

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Some people have hung feather dusters for them to duck under, but I can see how the swiffers would work as well. Good idea!

3. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    That is a cute and good idea!

I've used some stuffed animals before. The chick would just snuggle right up to it as though it were its mother!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by