Discovered new treat for my chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lisebarb, Jun 19, 2010.

1. lisebarb

lisebarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Woke up this morning at the house was covered with shad flies (AKA fish flies, may flies) Here's what a shad fly is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayfly

I swept up a dust pan full of them and took them out to my big girls in the coop and they went nuts. So I wondered if my 5 day old chicks would like them too.

I picked a few live flies off the side of the house and dropped them into the bin with my babies. Let me tell ya they went "crazy for coco puffs"!!! [​IMG]

2. miladachicken

miladachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2009
    Oregon
    What a funny memory! Are those the bugs that bite you [​IMG] ? Do they migrate or something?
    Thanks for the laugh!

3. lisebarb

lisebarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Nah, they don't bite but they cover your house and if you try to hose them down your whole property smells like dead fish (yech!) I live on the north shore of Lake Erie and every June the nymphs come out of the lake to mate. After they've done the doings, the males die and the females fly back to the lake to deposit their eggs before they too die. Hence, we won't be swimming for the rest of the month.

Apart from the mess they make around the house they are nothing more than a nuisance. I try to look on the bright side and see them as a free protein source for my gals. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by