Discovered something new about a few of my hens >.<

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenGirl165, Oct 15, 2011.

1. ChickenGirl165

ChickenGirl165 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    Okay so i was petting one of my hens today by rubbing them under the wings. Then while i'm doing it, its bum feathers start to go down and it looks like its about to poop because the pink thing comes out. In shock, i quickly moved away but no poo came out. SHe started shaking her feathers repetitivly (dont know if i spelt that right) . I decided to experiment on this and while im doing it, again it looks like shes going to poo but no poo comes out. Isnt this strange? [​IMG] Only 2 of my hens reacts. The others are just like, what the hell are you doing! [​IMG] let go of me! *struggles* lol Hehe, just decided to share xD >.<

2. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    I know this is gonna be "eewwww!" factor. It sounds just like what my hens do during mating to enable the rooster to make contact.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If "under the wings" is anywhere near the back, then yes, the hen thinks your rubbing is actually the pressure of a rooster's feet on her. [​IMG] When a rooster is up there, his feet rest right behind or on the shoulders of the hen.

4. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Are they laying yet? If not, you will soon be getting eggs, because that is definitely a sign of maturity. And that they think you are the "roo!"

5. ChickenGirl165

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    Quote:Its not really near the back. Quite at the front actually! hehe [​IMG]

6. ChickenGirl165

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    Quote:[​IMG] oooohhh. Yes they are laying. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    yup, you are their rooster [​IMG]

8. ChickenGirl165

Sep 7, 2011
    Melbourne
    woohoo, will they start laying fertilized eggs? Hahahaha [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by