1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Discovered where my 24 week pullet had been wandering off to

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Andi, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

This is BA (short for Bad A** - she's my son's chicken). For the past week to week and a half this darn little EE has been wandering off. We have spend hours searching high and low for this girl only to have her just almost instantaneously show up out of nowhere each time. Well, yesterday I was over dumping some stuff onto the compost pile, which is about 15' from the coop and noticed some movement in the brush at the back of the pile. There, just barely visible through a gap in a tangle of weeds was BA, quiet as can be. I just had to giggle in delight. None of my 4 24 week old girls had started laying yet, and this was all too obvious what she was doing once I saw her.

I let her be so I could go grab the camera. Unfortunately the batteries were dead. My camera takes 4 batteries and I only had 2 new ones. I went outside to finish chores and rack my brain to figure out where I might be able to steal batteries from. While I was out there BA came out of her hideout, so I casually zipped over to take a peek. Hee-hee! Six eggs! I must have looked ridiculous trying to not jump around in delight. I did manage to get back to my chores. BA went back in her nest so I figured I'd just wait until later to collect the eggs. It wasn't even 15 minutes and BA was out again, so I just had to go take another peek. There were 7 eggs now! The last one was still warm! [​IMG] At that point I had to call my son, who was at a friend's house and tell him. He reminded me his camera takes only 2 batteries so I grabbed it and took these.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here's the warm one. Isn't it pretty?! My son gets that one!

[​IMG]

2. <3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3

<3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Earth
    nice eggies. its always fun to find the first one of a new batch of birds!

_ _
    born2Bwild

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    The eggs kind of look like they are different shapesin the photo...... could both of your ee's be laying???

4. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

congrats on the new layers [​IMG]

5. Andi

pips&peeps :

The eggs kind of look like they are different shapesin the photo...... could both of your ee's be laying???

Only the one EE has been "missing". The other one has been hanging out close with the others. Only BA and my Calif White have been doing the crouch down when I go to pet them, but not the other EE or the BA, so I'm guessing (and its just a guess) that the other EE isn't quite ready. All the eggs are the same color so I don't think any are the CWs because she's a white egg layer.

I was a little surprised that non of the eggs were leathery though. I thought the first ones would be. Maybe she laid those somewhere else.

I had read somewhere about the shape of the egg. I don't recall what it was, but I'm pretty sure different shape didn't necessarily mean a different bird. I could be wrong. I would think the vent wouldn't be as stretched on a newly laying hen.​

6. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Congrats [​IMG]

7. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Its so fun to find the first eggs!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    In minnesota the weather has probably been plenty cool enough to keep those eggs fresh. Just crack them one by one into a bowl to check them out. Usually an older egg looks kinda porous, like kinda speckled a bit.

9. Andi

Thanks everyone! I knew you guys could understand! Just about everyone I've told in person politely congratulates me but with a look like 'Well, ya, ya knew they were gonna lay. Hello, that's why you got them'.

I've been reading others' post about their first eggs and now have gotten to experience it too. It is exciting!

Mrs.Puff, thank-you. I was wondering if the others would be alright. My concern is that we have had some freezing at night. Hopefully being a little sheltered by the grass and the trees overhead and that the nest is at the edge of the compost pile was enough to keep them from freezing. I'll take your advise and crack them one at a time to see how they look. I'm so excited! [​IMG]

10. Andi

I had a wonderful breakfast! The eggs were all incredible! The dirtiest, and likely the oldest, of the eggs looked good. The membrane holding the yolk just barely split open when I cracked the egg into a glass. All the others were perfect.

I'm blown away at how thick the shells are! I've never come across shells so thick! We don't even have them on layer feed or supplementing with a calcium source yet!

For all of you out there still waiting for your first eggs - you're gonna love them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by