Disease & infestation prevention

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Koolaid, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Koolaid

Koolaid Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Vancleave
    Do any of ya'll use anything on a regular basis to prevent the infestation of lice, mites, etc? I have not noticed anything on my chickens yet but I'd rather be proactive and try to prevent it. Thanks.

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I use sevin when I clean the pens every 3 weeks and I put it in the nest boxes too. I also dust the birds every few months.I also use oxine to fog the coop 2 times a year to kill bugs. I use ivermection pour on as well. I drop it on the back of the base of the neck.I have dealt with nasty mites and before you know it they are out of controll and your birds go down hill fast. Its hard to see them sometimes. I would rather be safe than sorry. Good luck!
    Quote:

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    In the summer time, I add a little Sevin dust into their dust bathing areas(learned that from someone on here).
    Also, I keep Poultry Protector and when I'm sitting outside with them, I'll have it on hand and just spray them as they walk by. They don't care for the "sneak attack", but it's for their own good. [​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wouldn't hesitate to use sevin once or twice a year but for more frequent prevention I feel better using pyrethrin/permethrin dust or spray.

5. Koolaid

Koolaid Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Vancleave
    Good info - thanks ya'll.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I sprinkle food grade DE (Diatomaceous Earth) in the nests and occasionally on the birds themselves. It absolutely MUST be food grade, though. Have never had an infestation in over five years with chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by