Disease name and treatment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by A Hasbee, Jan 1, 2019.

1. A Hasbee

A Hasbee In the Brooder

Oct 1, 2018
    I saw a chick with warts. Picture attached. Kindly suggest treatment and tell name of disease.

Attached Files:

2. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    Looks like possible fowl pox to me. I don't believe there is a treatment. But I'm just a forum member like you, so that's just my opinion. I'm sure others will be able to give opinions too. Good luck with your chicken

3. A Hasbee

A Hasbee In the Brooder

Oct 1, 2018
    Same thinking

Cragg Klefor likes this.
  4. mew317

mew317 Chirping

Feb 9, 2018
    Happy New Years! And, that right there I ain’t sure about. It could be what they suggested but who knows, I’m just really tired. Ask some other chicken disease experts.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It's fowl pox. Open her beak and see if there are any lesions anywhere inside her mouth and let us know.

Wyorp Rock, sourland and Cragg Klefor like this.
  6. A Hasbee

A Hasbee In the Brooder

Oct 1, 2018
    Seems a little 1 or 2 yellow spots in beak but not much. Another polish also got warts like it. Separated both from others.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Keep an eye on her to make sure that she is eating and drinking. The yellow spots inside the beak may be wet fowl pox, a more serious version of pox where they may stop eating due to pain. Dry fowl pox is usually limited to about 3 weeks and most chickens recover. There is no treatment. But it is more serious in younger pullets and cockerels. Here is some reading about fowl pox:
    https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Wyorp Rock, dawg53 and Cragg Klefor like this.
  8. A Hasbee

A Hasbee In the Brooder

Oct 1, 2018
    T
    Thanks

9. A Hasbee

A Hasbee In the Brooder

Oct 1, 2018
    Now chicks seem to be stable or used to it. Chicks have bcome weak but not very much affected. I put vitamins and minerals in water on daily basis.

Kindly advise what to do with these warts that look dry particularly on eye. One eye of both chicks is closed.
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

10. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    As far as I know, you should leave the 'warts' alone. There is not an effective 'cure' for this, it will just run it's course in a few weeks. To disturb the warts is to spread infection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: