Disease or an odd coincidence?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Leahmig44, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Leahmig44

Leahmig44 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2016
    I have a family of D'Uccle chickens. Well, had. While the hen was sitting on eggs, the roo was picked up by a hawk. RIP Luis.
    Anyway, their daughter who is shy of a month old now, I noticed seems to "shiver" a lot. I thought maybe it was because she's cold. She is the smaller and weaker of the two, and it doesn't help that she was attacked at 2 weeks old by another hen that almost killed her. I don't think that has anything to do with it though, because she was tremmoring since she hatched. Suddenly today I remembered when I first got her father, I would notice sometimes that he seemed to be shivering too. I had also seen hock sitting behavior out of him on at least one occasion and once a full on spaz out/seizure. This was quite a while back though and I had forgotten about it completely. He was at least a year old at that time.

I have looked into Avian Encephalomyelitis, but I don't think this could be seeing as its a virus, and I have never seen any other signs of this in any other members of the flock, including the little chick's mother. Is there maybe something genetic specific to D'Uccles? Or could this just be a coincidence, and the little gal is just cold? Her brother (not a D'Uccle) never shakes either.

What do y'all think?
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    My D'uccles always shiver when I hold them, but no other time.
  3. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Could be a sign of damage done by the earlier attack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by