1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Disease or Injury? *Semi-Graphic Pics*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by andythescot, Mar 11, 2015.

1. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    This afternoon I noticed one of my EEs (about three years old) had all kinds of stuff caked in her beard, then I noticed her face was covered with blood and she had large amounts of foam in her eyes (see pic). She was perched on the roost, presumably to get away from the rest of the flock. This EE is at the bottom of the pecking order, so I suspected she was just victim to her peers, who've unfortunately been snowed into their 8x8 coop all winter, but I noticed another hen had similar symptoms. My barred rock (also about three years) also had a lot of blood on her face and in her hackles with one eye swollen shut, she seems more sluggish than usual so I put her on the roost as well.

None of the other chickens have blood on them at all, though one (another three-year old EE) has a small amount of foam in her eyes. A few chickens have actually been exhibiting these foamy eyes since the summer, but they've been acting normally so I ignored it for the most part. Though now I am more concerned about their respiratory systems since they have been confined so much to their coop. Normally they get to go into their spacious run, and while the door is open for them to go out, they have been in the coop almost all winter. The coop normally doesn't have any kind of smell attached to it, there is plenty of ventilation, though it wasn't designed for the chickens to stay in it all the time.

What should I do with the birds, and any ideas as to what happened? I thought it was just a bad fight at first, but the foam has me worried. They were both normal this morning.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    WELL I cleaned up their faces and separated one of them for the night, then switched her out for the other this morning. They both seem to be eating, though they're reluctant to drink. Each has one swollen eye though the foam has gone. The Barred Rock also seems to have some sort of phlegm-y substance in her mouth, though she is active.

I believe however the flock has fowlpox. The seven other girls all have the black lesions on their faces/combs/wattles, and the two who're the subject of this post I believe have the wet form of the virus. I'm taking steps to boost their immune systems.

Thanks everyone for your help! :)

3. Yurd Ahd

Yurd Ahd Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    Did you end up getting rid of the fowl pox? I recently noticed one of my hens has a lesion near her eye and another has a swollen hackle. Help!

4. jeanetteiacovon

jeanetteiacovon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2015
    Help my 15 week old americauna pullet is weezing and coughing for 3 days now. I got injectable penicillin (sp) and I do not know how much or how long to give it to her. Everyone says cull her she was 3 bucks but I love her. Pleaseany help... I love my birds.

5. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    please start your own thread under the diseases and injuries section so you can get some help for the little one. No one will see it here.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here is where you can start a new thread for help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10

Penicillin may not be the best drug to use for a respiratory infection, but if that is all you can get, the normal dosage is 1/4 ml given daily for 4 days as an injection into the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep, alternating sides daily. Tylan 50, oxytetracycline, or Gallimycin (erythromycin) may work better. Here is a good link to read about respiratory diseases, symptoms, and treatment:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

7. jeanetteiacovon

jeanetteiacovon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2015
    Thank you both for your advise to start a new thread. I am new to here but I will try thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by