1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Disease or just dirty chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KDOGG331, Mar 28, 2017.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I just noticed a few of my chickens have black spots on their combs and I want to make sure it's not a disease.

Yesterday it rained all day and the pen got pretty gross so it coukd possibly just be mud?

Except I noticed a third chicken with it less prominent and what appear to be like bumps or ticks or something near the nostrils?

I just changed the bedding in the coop yesterday, it had been a long time since I've been so busy, but now it's nice and clean.

If it is disease, would you recommend treating it or just making sure the environment's extra clean and letting it heal on it's own?

Here are the best pictures I could get with moving squirming chickens in one hand and the phone in the other... I deleted the blurry ones :lau

(I know pictures are needed for diagnoses but I don't want to lose what I typed and have to go to class. I will try to post the pictures when I can.)

2. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Okay, managed to upload the pictures.

Chicken 1. Amber, a Buff Orpington.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chicken 2. Blackie. A Black Australorp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chicken 3. Angel. Also a Buff Orpington. I think in the last few you can see the bumps near her nostrils and I just noticed the stuff under her eyes when looking at the pictures, didn't notice that when I was out there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also I don't why the combs look so white, they're really not, they're red except the black stuff. Although some of them could be a little bit dry.

And they are all acting 100% normal and healthy, not lethargic or sick or anything and all eating and drinking. And laying has been picking up again. We got 7 eggs out of 8 chickens yesterday. So no problems there.

Thanks for any input.

3. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Really would like to know here, please. Thanks.

4. The Golden Egg5

The Golden Egg5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    I am a beginner, so I do not know much, but to me it looks like peck marks. If they are not acting lethargic or odd I think they are fine.

5. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read....MORE Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Could it be Fowl Pox?

6. The Golden Egg5

The Golden Egg5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    like i said, I am new to chickens, so i dont know very much about diseases. But it doesn't look like it to me. If you are worried about it, you could put some neosporin on them just to be sure and keep an eye out for wet pox. if it is dry pox, it should clear up in a few weeks.

7. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I don't think so since they don't have the big lesions and there's no other symptoms, egg production and appetite fine, etc. But I could be wrong.

I like the pecking idea because some of them can be bullies to each other and they haven't gotten out to free range in a long time so it could def be that. The orps are lower in the pecking order too

8. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read....MORE Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I was just guessing...but I do remember reading,recently, a thread where this lady had the same little small spots and it was the beginning of dry fowl pox.
    Let me see if I can find it for you.
    I'm not say that it was yours has...just saying...
    brb

9. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I did find this article with a picture of pecking injuries which looks like too so now idk haha

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html?m=1

I found lots of other articles on fowl pox too when i Googled pictures haha

Either way, it seems like the scabs fall off on their own? So I guess I'll just have to wait and see?

Could I put like vetericyn or neosporin or vaseline or something on it that might treat both?

Or blu kote? Does that treat both? This other article recommended it.

I've seen all these things thrown around but I don't really know what treats what haha

10. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    They look like peck marks to me. Usually these will heal on their own just fine. If you feel you need to put something on the combs, you can use triple antibiotic ointment, Vetericyn or some Blu-Kote.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by