Disease or molting that went bad?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MissouriChick, Sep 6, 2010.

1. MissouriChick

MissouriChick Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Jefferson City, MO
    I have about three laying hens that have horrible bare spots on their backs. I know that, for the first one at least, it was a spot created by one of our roosters being overly friendly. Well, those roosters are long gone and now I have at least two other hens who have developed the same bald spot problems. Our hens have molted so that is not it, unless it take some hens almost a year to molt! But this is not molting kind of feather loss. This is bright red bald spots that look really ugly. Is it other chickens hen pecking them? I've never seen one doing that so I don't know. Is there anything that I can put on it? I'm just thinking that if some feathers don't grow back soon we're going to have some serious frost bite issues come winter.
    Any thoughts?

2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    I have several hens that I would be ashamed to show to anyone. It has been a while for me too. I am hoping that with summer coming to a slow end, it will improve for me. But I have to believe that its way hotter here than where you are. I am toying with the idea of giving them dog food to boost up there protein a bit, but have not decided. I keep telling myself that time will take care of that naturally. At the same time, they are all on strike. Either that or they have an awesome hidding place and I pretty much have cancelled out that possibility by closing them in until mid-afternoon, so I think they really are on strike. No eggs for a few days now.

3. MissouriChick

MissouriChick Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Jefferson City, MO
    rhoda_bruce: It's been very hot here this summer, too. We've just had a cool spell to break the high 90's/low 100's we had for most of August. The heat definitely impacted their egg production but I didn't think about it possibly being the cause for the bald spots. I forgot about the dog food idea (but I thought it was cat food).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by