Disease or Rooster Injury?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JustMeKimberly, Dec 1, 2011.

1. JustMeKimberly

JustMeKimberly Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    Eugene, Oregon
    I have one rooster and one hen. Hen had babies, one survived. Now the baby has no feathers on it's back. What do you think is causing it? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. JustMeKimberly

May 21, 2010
    Eugene, Oregon
    So if anyone could give any advicem, that would be great. Thanks:thumbsup

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Appears to be from overbreeding by your cock bird. Look into some hen saddles, that should help. You may want to actually separate her for a few weeks, before putting the saddle on, if you can so that she can heal a bit.

EDITED: Wait, how old is this chick?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Separate before he kills her.

5. JustMeKimberly

May 21, 2010
    Eugene, Oregon
    The chick was born Sept. 20th. I guess one reason why I am asking is because I have never seen the rooster messing with her. The only thing I can figure out is maybe he is messing with the chick in the coop at night? The rooster doesn't chase the chick or anything during the day (not that I've seen). I suppose I could separate and see if anything changes.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    You need to separate the roo from his 2 ladies. One of the ladies is getting worn out by his attentions. That chick looks way too young to be getting that kind of attention anyways.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by