Disease prevention question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by juls, Sep 19, 2009.

1. juls

juls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2008
    Colorado
    Well the coyotes finally moved on and for several weeks there was peace in the valley - but now the hawks have shown up. Looks like my girls will be back in the coop indefinately. The area is plenty large enough with good venilation, sunshine and shade and I'm rather fanatical about keeping it clean but I worry about things like parasites. Is there something I can use to dust both the soil as well as the hen house and nesting boxes to prevent worms or other diseases - at least until the predators move on? (Don't think I'll live long enough to see that happen!)

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I put diatomacious earth in both the coop and the run. After I sweep and mop the coop, a dusting of DE on the floor and then pine shavings. I put the DE in the run in the areas where they like to dust bath.

If you get mites or lice you can dust their necks with Sevin Dust.

I'm finding if I feed in the coop, I keep them healthier because if I feed in the run I have birds from all over the southwest that are trying to get through the chicken wire to steal feed.

Welcome to BYC![​IMG] from Arizona... and Good luck.

[​IMG]

3. juls

juls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2008
    Colorado
    I'll pick up the DE at the feed store tommorow - thanks! That's a good idea about feeding inside the hen house to keep out the neighborhood invaders. I even put bird netting over the chicken wire and they're stillgetting in!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Make sure it's FOOD GRADE DE and not the regular type! Your feedstore probably doesn't have it, so check the label no matter what they tell you. If it says 85% silicon dioxide, it is POOL filter grade and poison to the chickens.

5. juls

juls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2008
    Colorado
    I've heard this stuff is used to kill insects in vegie and flower garderns - wonder if a local nursery would carry it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by