Disease

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JMacaw, Oct 13, 2016.

1. JMacaw

JMacaw New Egg

Oct 13, 2016
    Hi guys!! I'm just new with breeding and raising of chicks and was hoping for some advice on disease. I have bought eggs to incubate and was wondering if and illness or disease can be spread to my flock this way? As far as i am aware the fertile eggs come from healthy stock. I just want to start off on the right foot [​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, JMacaw, and :welcome. Happy you joined us. I am a hatching novice so I will defer to the experts in the hatching section here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs
    My instinct tells me they hatch healthy and acquire disease. But again, I don't know if they can hatch with a disease or not. :idunno. Sorry. But thanks for joining BYC!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Sorry I don't know that answer either.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I think that i have read that some diseases can be passed from mother to egg, but I'd suggest searching for that, using the search box.

Best wishes
    CT

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! So glad you joined us, and I hope you make yourself at home here! Yes, diseases can be passed from mother to egg in some cases, but the immunity to certain diseases can also be passed.

6. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your hatch and thanks for joining us!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Hatching eggs should not spread disease

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Hatching eggs are one of the most biosecure ways of introducing new birds to a flock. However, there are a few diseases - the most common one being Mycoplasma - which have the potential to spread through hatching eggs. However even in these cases, it's pretty uncommon for the egg to actually carry the disease; using Mycoplasma as an example, about 90-95% of eggs from infected parents will be clean of the disease. Though this rate can decrease if the hen who laid the egg was in the height of an infection or very symptomatic.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  9. JMacaw

JMacaw New Egg

Oct 13, 2016
    Thank you so much for your replies [​IMG] i have used this site extensively for info on numerous occasions. Very helpful!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by