1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. scooter123

scooter123 Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2017
    I use horse tanks to get them started but I've had a few die resently. Just out of nowhere what disease might be doing this?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Give us some more info-----you talking about chicks? How Old? Whats your brooder temp? Fill us in.

3. scooter123

scooter123 Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2017
    Yes sry that was vague? I normally keep each batch of chicks separated in large horse tanks and scoop them out about every 2 weeks. Have done this for about 2 years now. This particular time/ batch I had 2 die in a day and just figured they were weak birds and didn't think anything of it, next day or later that day more died and so on I would never see them die it would just happen when you wert looking. Lost a lot of birds. So now instead of just scooping the tanks I also spay them with vinegar ware and let dry before next batch goes in hoping it works. But really curious of what might grow in said tanks to cause this and steps to prevent it again. Altogether I've lost 50+ bird and its getting old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by