Disease??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mrstomcat, Jan 28, 2014.

1. mrstomcat

mrstomcat Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my hen? Is it a disease or what and what can I do about it. Her legs look terrible and it looks like a growth on her head. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

A better photo would help--I can't see what's going on in that photo--as well as a more detailed explanation of what's going wrong.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The picture is out of focus--there is definitely something going on, but try taking another shot.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Looks like a bad case of scaly leg mites to me.

5. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, but I'm more curious about this growth on her head...

6. mrstomcat

May 17, 2011
    Here is a photo of the growth on my hen. Sorry it's taken so long to get back. Was at hospital with my husband. Cancer is a nasty disease but we are home for now. Thanks. [​IMG]

7. mrstomcat

May 17, 2011
    Hoping this is a better photo of my hens feet. Also would like suggestions on what to do. She won't get on the poles at night and in the mornings she won't come down off of them. I have to put her up on the poles every night then take her now each morning. She doesn't walk any different but she acts like they hurt her. [​IMG]

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry to hear about the cancer and your husband. Hope everything is better. As Dawg53 said, It looks like scaly leg mites. To treat that, you should soak the feet and legs in warm epsom salts or soapy water, take an old toothbrush, and gently clean the scales. Then take castor oil or vaseline and smear all over, then rub it in thoroughly to get up under the scales. Do that once a week--it may take months to get rid of it. Look at your other chickens because they probably have some too. You probably will want to clean the coop out, and spray or dust it and the nest boxes with permethrin or Sevin dust. The tumor on her head and near her beak could be anything. Has it grown fast? Did she have a Mareks vaccine?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  9. mrstomcat

May 17, 2011

I will do as suggested. I've looked on her body and haven't found any mites on her but my eyes aren't the best. I plan to do the doctoring today. The growth has growned pretty fast and it effects her eyesight on that side. Sometimes she can't get the eye to stay open. At first I thought she had a weird comb until it kept growing.
    Thanks for your help. Never had anything like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by