1. angussss10

angussss10 New Egg

Dec 2, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    I had 44 White rocks come in on Dec 16th. Things were going quite well lost a couple as always in the first stages. Significant cold has come and the birds were really huddling to keep warm under the multiple heat lamps I have set for them. I believe this affected their feathering because some have feathered beautifully while others have some real bald patches and parts to their bodies. I lost a couple more here and there and I truly believe it was due to over crowding (suffication) or just getting pushed out of the group on the cold nights however now I have lost 6 in 2 days and I'm starting to wonder if I have disease or if it's just too cold for them. I am doing everything I can to keep heat in my coop but i feel horrible about what is going on.
    Is there common disease they can get or is it just too cold for these guys? I am in Canada and it has been extremely cold as of late but I have the coop warm enough that water isn't freezing and that kind of thing. Can they get pneumonia? Is there a treatment for the water I can give without tainting my meat? Any help here or ideas of what is going on would be appreciated. They are eating and drinking well.

Losing 4 last night is getting me concerned. They are 5 weeks old yesterday.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A couple ideas.

If I keep chicks in an unheated, uninsulated building in cold weather, I use a version of the Ohio brooder that dates back to the 1940s.
    http://web.extension.illinois.edu/hkmw/downloads/46524.pdf

Here's mine.

[​IMG]

A heat lamp at both ends of the hover brooder gives space for about 75 birds in mine. With the 4X4 type you can brood about 75 birds.

If the temperature hasn't gotten significantly colder in the last month, then you have something else going on because they should be fairly acclimated.

Losing 6 birds in 2 days is a big problem and time for a necropsy. In the US, each state has a poultry lab that will do a necropsy. I assume Canada has a similar thing. In any case. guessing will prolong your misery and theirs.
    Are there sickly symptoms before they die? If so, send a sick bird to a lab for euthanasia and necropsy.
    If not, send a fresh dead bird.

Crowding is definitely a problem because they need fresh air.

In my pictures, I have the windows wide open and the building was below 0 C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by