Diseased apple tree

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Matthew3590, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    I am concerned with my apple tree it is fairly young around 5 years still very small and get a maximum of 10 apples a year from it that the animals get to enjoy but not us. Lately we have less rain but I have been watering it very well, but it seems to get some yellow circles on it on almost every single leaf right when the cicadas first came out. Maybe it had something to do with them or maybe not but I do not know. I took some pictures of it hoping you will be able to know. *note* they will not be the best pictures but only what phone can do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Matthew3590

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Any idea on how to make them bigger?

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Is it affecting the apples as well? Looks kind of like apple scab from what I can see in those pictures.

If you uploaded the pictures here on BYC, make sure you copied and pasted the code for a regular image, not just a thumbnail.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Google Frog Eye leaf spot looks very similar.

Imp- my apples have scab, blight, coddling moth, and occasionally apple maggot. Needless to say I don't eat them mostly.

5. Matthew3590

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    same style of frog eye the way they are shaped but the ones in the tree are a lot more yellow like the sun or dandelions.

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Could it be cedar apple rust.

I've been told by someone who works at a local nursery that a spray of 2 heaping tablespoons of baking soda mixed with 1 gallon of water will help cure it but I didn't get a chance to try it on our little Granny Smith apple that had it as it didn't come back this year.

So far we've not had the problem with our Delicious and Winesap. [​IMG]

Dawn

7. Matthew3590

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    Quote:It is not affecting the apples, just the leaves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by