Diseased Roster?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cbourbeau32, Nov 22, 2015.

1. cbourbeau32

cbourbeau32 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2014
    Our neighbors rooster came to live with us when he started letting him free range (he has no other chickens) and so far I haven't been too concerned as he and my rooster are separated by the goat fence that my roo can't get through. Anyway he only has one good eye and when I looked closer at him today it is covered in scabs of some sort and there is another one on the side of his head where the good eye is. Should I just take him out so he doesn't spread it to my flock if it is contagious?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Charlie

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Hi Charlie-

Post some pics. We can't tell for sure whether it is a problem or not without actually seeing it.

That being said, I keep a strict quarantine on my birds. I do not let any domesticated poultry around my birds that I do not own. Period. I would take him out just to maintain biosecurity. I may not eat him based on what you have described, but he would likely be fed to my dogs in the absence of any overt infections.

Just my $0.02. Take care.

3. cbourbeau32

cbourbeau32 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2014
    He won't let me get close to him to take pictures. He's acting funny so I think he'll be a gonner tomorrow.

Thanks, Charlie

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Better safe than sorry. Strange, scabby birds are not OK to have hanging around a healthy flock. He could just have injuries, but he could have something more sinister. There are several diseases that are readily passed between birds that can ruin a flock. I wouldn't risk it, myself, so I can understand.

Good luck, Charlie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by