1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Diseases that cause gall bladder to swell or increase in size.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brummie, Jan 17, 2014.

1. brummie

brummie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2013
    One of my roosters was clearly on it's way out, about 7 months old. So I decided to process it.
    Whilst cleaning it out, I noticed that the gall bladder was much bigger than it should be, and also the liver was much bigger.

I'm sure there's probably more than one disease that can cause the gall bladder to swell up or increase in size, but does anyone know what they are? Can't seem to find anything substantial online.

Any ideas anyone?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    No idea , I hope someone has a guess

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Sometimes it's diet related~moldy feeds, too much of this or that nutrient, etc. If you have another such occurrence you can check your feed...other than that, you may never know and it could have been something specific to just this bird.

Here's a site that tells about fatty liver disease in birds.... http://www.holisticbirds.com/pages/fld0502.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by