Diseases

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Markd7781, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Markd7781

Markd7781 New Egg

Oct 4, 2012
    Hi everyone,

In the begining of August I started keeping hens. The first four chickes I bought wheer an Apenzeller, 2 Polish hens and a Cream legbar. I then added to them at the end of august and bought two battery hens, 2 gold tops, 2 daisybells and a sussex star.
    All was well until the end of august when I noticed that the Apenzeller had become sleepy. Despite being sleepy she was eating well. Two days after noticing she was sleepy I found her dead in the coop, she had passed away in the night. Three weeks after this I then lost one of my Polish hens in exactly the same way. Two weeks ago my Cream legbar passed away and this morning I have found my last remaining Polish hen dead in the coop, again they have all passed away in exactly the same circumstances. The only point of difference is that all four hens came from the same breeder, whilst the others came from a different breeder. All my other hens look fine, they are very lively and they are eating and drinking well.
    Does anybody have any idea what is going on here.

Many thanks

2. TW1Kell

TW1Kell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    Did they also have the tendency to keep 1 eye closed? I traded for some Bantams and have lost 2 of the 6, similarly. I am worried because I noticed that 2 more were "winking" at me, yesterday morning. They each had one eye closed. Same symptoms: Eating and drinking well, but they seemed sleepy. I traded for them about 3 weeks ago, and lost the 1st 2 on days 3 and 5. Now, it seems to be coming back.

3. Markd7781

Markd7781 New Egg

Oct 4, 2012
    Hi,

I didnt notice if they had one eye closed. Its very starange, one minute they are eating out of my hand and running round and the next they are dead. The other similarity is that they have all died in the night.
    Cheers

4. TW1Kell

TW1Kell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    I wound up losing 3 of the 6 Bantams, then 2 of my Standard flock, to the "winking disease". I also have 2 chickens, one adult, one young chick, that had it but recovered. I have not seen any sign of it in about 4 months, now.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by