Disenfectant

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bigjohn, Apr 19, 2009.

1. bigjohn

bigjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Georgia
    Anyone use Listerine or a similar mouth wash as a disenfectant? I was given this idea by someone who raises many birds and hatches many birds. They put some in a spray bottle and clean waterers and feeders and incubators with the liquid. It kills 99.% of germs. I bought a large bottle at a dollar type store very cheap.

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I think it would probably work, but would be MUCH more expensive than bleach, and probably not as effective.

3. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Why not just use bleach?

its non toxic, its a sodium type- you dilute it and its not going to harm anything- except maybe stain your clothes.

I wouldnt use mouth wash. Its just too expensive and sticky and sweet and blech.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Use the Listerine in your mouth... Use Clorox for the coop.

I never use toothpaste, I brush my teeth with liquid listerine.

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] Are you serious, Mahonri? But... what about the fluoride in toothpaste, don't you need it? We have a well so no fluoride in our water.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have a fluoride rinse for that after!

7. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Quote:Floride is a naturally occurring mineral. You get it in veggies. most americans dont eat leafy greens, and real veggies- thats why its such a health concern.

You dont *need* fluoride from an artificial source anymore than you really need any other mineral. Its actually in most ground and surface waters to some degree.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2009
  8. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG]

Why is Listerine the better choice for brushing? I've heard it is bad for fillings, it that not true?

9. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Floride is a naturally occurring mineral. You get it in veggies. most americans dont eat leafy greens, and real veggies- thats why its such a health concern.

You dont *need* fluoride from an artificial source anymore than you really need any other mineral. Its actually in most ground and surface waters to some degree.

I'm not complaining about not having fluoride in my water, I'm happy we don't. But we brush with toothpaste that has fluoride. [​IMG]

10. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:LOTS of things kill 99% of germs -- straight alcohol being one of them, and cheaper (in bulk) than Listerine, and a bleach solution being cheaper than either [​IMG]

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by