1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Disfigured chick? Will she make it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Blackberry18, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    I recieved my order of a dozen chicks on Tuesday; 8 Light Brahmas and 4 Partridge Rocks. My sister noticed today that one of the Light Brahmas had her head always turned to the right side. I checked on her and found that she could move her head to the other side - I saw her preening - but she always had it turned to one side. She seems to have bad balance, but she has been eating and drinking as far as I know. She doesn't act sick, just mellow. Her neck bone feels misshapen; curved. Here's a few pics of her. What do you think I should do?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. more than birds

more than birds New Egg

Jan 12, 2016
    This chick most likely has a broken neck. [​IMG] It would be best to put it down. This chick will not be able to eat or drink properly even if it makes it to adulthood. sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    She is most likely suffering from wry neck. It's workable. Start by adding vit E to the diet and feeding non medicated feed. Ton of info out there.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by