Disgusted by having to throw eggs away

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fam5r, Sep 12, 2011.

1. fam5r

fam5r Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    I recently had to worm my chickens and used wyzine so now we are throwing away the eggs and I feel so awful [​IMG] about it!!! I really dont want to do the next step of meds and have to do it for another 2 weeks. my kids really feel bad and said "mom how can we throw these away the girls work really hard on them" lol!! my heart melted they are right!!!

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Well, since the birds are already taking the meds why not make them a treat and hard boil those eggs and mash them up, shells and all and feed them back. Your kids would enjoy watching the birds get a tasty treat.

Wazine is really such a low key dewormer (only getting rid of roundworms) that we eat the eggs when we deworm with that. Even if I deworm with Ivomec I still eat the eggs since they use it on humans, too. And Ivomec gets rid of more intestinal and external parasites.

I seldom deworm with those products though and instead prefer to do the more natural pumpkin seed and red pepper flake methods.

3. fam5r

fam5r Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    thanks for that advice. I was told once that if you feed the eggs to the chickens they will develope a taste for them and may end up breaking their eggs to eat them. Again this is what i was told not sure of the truth of it.
    What is your regimen for the pumpkin seed red pepper flake natural worming?

4. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    One reason not to feed the eggs back to them is, the eggs have the medication in them, therefore you are re-dosing your chickens. Which means more time to cull eggs.

5. DazeGoneBy

DazeGoneBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:That is why you should cook the eggs, first. [​IMG]

6. fam5r

fam5r Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Thanks Dazegoneby I appreciate the clarification! this whole chicken raising is new to me:D

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There is wormer residue in the eggs and meat, that's why there's a withdrawal period (as stated for slaughter on the bottle of wazine.) If the chicken is good to eat after the 14th day, so are the eggs. No matter how slight the residue is, there's always the possibilty of an adverse reaction in humans, same for all wormers including ivermectin. The exception would be eprinex. Feeding eggs to your chickens extends the withdrawal period. Feed the eggs to your dogs, wazine has no effect on dogs. Dont give dogs tossed eggs if you use ivermectin. Pumpkin seed and red pepper flakes might be used as preventatives, but wont kill a worm infestation. Here's what large roundworms look like in a chickens digestive tract. ONE WORM lays tens of thousands of eggs to be excreted onto the soil, to be picked up by other chickens:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    So Dawg, how often do you worm? And also, do you use Venbal...somethin' somethin'? (I forget the name!) LOL

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I worm every 3 months. I mainly use valbazen, rotate with safeguard....alot of egg tossing. We dont eat that many eggs anyway. As a matter of fact I'm redosing tomorrow morning, they should be good to go til around the end of December with cooler temps coming (hopefully.)

10. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    Does Safeguard kill the lice and mites also?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by