1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

disheveled birds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scooby, Sep 7, 2011.

1. scooby

scooby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    my flock use to be very beautiful, but i noticed last year that they were starting to look very disheveled, losing feathers,burnt skin, and even the feathers they do have arn't full and pretty but they are sparse and rough. they just look ruff. i have a very large roo and i lost some hens last year and my roo being as "active" as he was with my girls started cutting up the remaining 4 of them. i put chicken saddles on the worse ones and there feathers still arn'tcoming in and its been a good 3 months with them on. its also not helping the feathers on their wings. so last winter they molted and i thought o great now there feathers will come in nice, and they did for about a month and them they started degrading again. and now my roo has a bare butt and he use to have beautiful long tail feathers. I'v never seen them picking at each other. what is going on? and what do i do about it?? i need help, i'm sick of having ugly chickens.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds as if the rooster is going through a molt. Only solution to the condition of the hens is an extended separation from the rooster. Allow brief conjugal visits if you want fertile eggs; otherwise, as you know you really don't need a rooster.

3. scooby

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    i don't think he's molting, they molt in october every year like clock work.and its just his hind end, o and another thing i forgot to mention was that they are also very sparse on there bellies . so backs, bellies, wings, and some necks and some butts. o and another thing which address's the roo situation is i did think the ratio of hen to roo was low so i did add another batch of chicks (5 hens) this summer,they arn't laying yet, and they are fine nothing wrong with them.thats another thing they should start molting in another month so i want to figure it out now. and we are also building a nice big 8x10 coop for them should be done this weekend, they have all been in my little 3x4 scrap made one and so hubby finally decided it was time.( after a year of begging.) so any other suggestions to try............

4. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Have you checked them for mites, lice, and parasites?

5. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Look for parasites definitely, my husband shirked his dusting duties this summer and we have a couple naked butted chickens now. Mites and lice eat their feathers, irritate them until they pick their feathers or they fall out, etcetera, sounds like a parasite infestation to me.

6. scooby

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    i checked last year after they started looking this way and they where clean, but i will recheck them again and probably dust anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by