Dishwashers

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by moodusnewchick, Aug 2, 2008.

1. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    I think I'm ok in this forum.

So I need advice on dishwashers. I'm driving myself crazy with internet research. too many options, to many brands and brands of brands.

what do I really need to focus on? towerless? heated dry and economy dry? do I care about electrical buttons vs dial or push button?

2. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    LOL the only dishwasher here is ME! [​IMG]

sorry but my friend asked my husband once, if we had a dishwasher and he said that I was standing over there

3. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
  4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    My favorite feature in my diswasher? It has a build in disposer that grinds up any larger food particles.

Other than that....I would just get the one that looks cool. [​IMG]

5. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    For me personally here are the things I like in a dishwasher:

I want one that will heat the water to disinfect my dishes; all the new ones may do this now but when I bought the one I have now it was an option you had to ask for.

I like to have the silverware holder on the side, not the front and have a compartment the closes to keep small items secure.

I like to have a collapsible dish rack in the bottom for fitting in very large items like my gumbo pot or my pressure cooker.

I like a model that has a regular wash cycle for just a few dishes and a pot scrubber cycle for really heavy loads.

I like a model that has a timer and I can set it to start the dishwasher after everyone in the house has had their shower and is in bed.

I like to be able to set my washer for a heated drying cycle or a non-heated drying cycle in case I put something in the washer that isn’t supposed to be heated past a certain temp.

The model I have now has a quick release for the top rack, which can be removed if you have a really large item that wouldn’t fit in with the top rack in place. I didn’t think I would ever use that feature…boy was I wrong!!

Edited to add: You most certainly want tower-less; those are the most inefficient models there ever were. It’s a really bad design.

The model I have now is a Frigidaire...it is the least expensive model on the market and it's also the best dishwasher I've ever had.

That’s all I can think of right now…happy hunting!!!!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    We just went through a dishwasher search. Initially we walked into Sears and they directed us to their most expensive model, i think it was a Kenmore. It had a stainless steel tub (important to be able to get and hold heat) and turbo spin arms with angled holes so the water that shoots out is super strong. The top rack could be adjusted or removed. That's a good feature if you need to wash large pots. We really liked it, but it was around $1300. Then you add the warranty $399, tax, delivery, etc, and it was a chunk of change.

Kept looking, and finally settled on a Maytag Jetclean II. It has the stainless interior, movable top shelf, a tall tub, lots of different wash cycles including a high heat disinfecting option, and it's pretty - stainless exterior with hidden controls on the top of the door. It has a steam clean option that is supposed to be good for getting spots off glasses. Haven't used that option yet, though.

It was just under $800 at Home Depot, and their 4 year warranty was only $99 compared to Sears' $399. Anyhow, that's my two cents. Good luck!

7. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

This was the best Christmas present ever was the dishwasher! I always did them by hand and DH would do them but I felt bad as he does a lot of other things I cant.
    Ours is the "midgrade", not low price. We have buttons so that we can use the pots and pan or light load button, and I like to have the option of heat dry or off, I choose off and when the dishwasher is done, I open the door to allow the humidity to roll out (not in summer) and let the dishes dry on their own.
    Another thing I fell in love with was the sprayer on the bottom of the top shelf. It gets things so much cleaner (it also has a sprayer on bottom drawer too)
    Hope it helps, I would assume this day in age that most dishwashers are created mostly equal.
    Good luck and keep us posted what you choose!

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've got 2 of them.....they're attached to the ends of my arms!!! Sorry....I couldn't resist. [​IMG]

9. moodusnewchick

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    thank you all so much!! I'm a spoiled single person who cooks a lot and can't stand washing. i know. i said spoiled. but not spoiled enough to spend over $400 for this luxury item. thank you so much for your input. one question though: BettyR, I'm not sure about your towerless suggestion. is it a go or no go?

10. moodusnewchick

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    I've narrowed down to a whirlpool (sears) or G.E. (home depot, then I can buy more chicken wire too). I'm liking the sani-wash feature and ability to put in large items. i also like the thought of the silverware being on the door instead of taking up drawer space. should be off to see these things in person soon. any last advice/opinions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by