Disinfect coop?

Wyandotte Momma

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 8, 2015
I had my hen get sick very suddenly passed. So since I'm not sure what it was it was some sort of cold or a respitory. Anyway my rooster is all I have left. So I am wanting to make sure I can get it as clean as a coop can be. What should I use that won't be to harsh on my ole boy?? :)

I had my hen get sick very suddenly passed. So since I'm not sure what it was it was some sort of cold or a respitory. Anyway my rooster is all I have left. So I am wanting to make sure I can get it as clean as a coop can be. What should I use that won't be to harsh on my ole boy?? :)
for disinfecting surfaces, a dilute Clorox works well. Once it's dry it's safe and it works well. 2 cups in a five gallon bucket is fine but you can make it stronger for more porous surfaces (half and half) and once it air dries it should be fine (good ventilation is key)

Your rooster may be a carrier of whatever illness took your hen. Cleaning the coop is a good idea, but he stays you have choices; 1. get a few birds and see if illness resurfaces; 2. test him for mycoplasma at least; 3. move him on, clean the coop, wait at least three weeks, and start over with a few birds as a test. Mary

Back
Top Bottom