Disinfectant

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by turtle1173, Jul 10, 2008.

1. turtle1173

turtle1173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    I'm getting ready to start incubating next week (for the first time). I've got a hova-bator that's been sitting in my garage for several years. I've had it running for a couple weeks now and it's doing great.

I would like to disinfect it before putting the eggs in. It is made out of thick styrofoam. What would be good to use for this? I know some products will melt styrofoam. I sure don't want to do that.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Shane

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  3. turtle1173

turtle1173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    SE Missouri
    Thank you Miss Prissy. You came through once again.

I see my touble. I should have searched for "swamp monster" instead of "disinfect*" LOL!!

Great info.

Shane

4. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I have heard great things about oxine- but haven't tried it yet. Still using the Miss Prissy method too!

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Oxine and Bleach are both excellent disinfectants and we use both here. For active disinfecting, be sure to leave it soak for at least 15 minutes before rinsing. Air dry in the sun is perfect and works well here too. Good luck with your incubation..it is very addictive once you get started.

Jody

6. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

And, so....if I am using one 'bator just for incubating, and moving them into the hatcher on Day 18, is it possible that I can let the 'bator go through several cycles without doing a whole clean-up/out? Seems this season that I've had eggs arriving just as soon as I moved or before I moved eggs to the hatcher, so....it hasn't happened.

I've definitely cleaned the hatcher between each batch, though, since it has a longer resting time....

If not, and maybe anyway, I've got to start planning a bit better....(HA and HMMMPH....)

Susan

7. gessieviolet

gessieviolet Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a question concerning the sanitizing of incubators. In every instance I have read you say you wash, sanitize, then rinse. Why? I ran restaurants for over 20 years. We were required to pass state health inspections at least twice a year. One of the really closely watched procedures was the hand washing of equipment and utensils. Health department regulations ALWAYS dictated that the process be (1)wash in hot water,(2) rinse, then (lastly) sanitize, letting utensils sit in solution for a period of time , then air dry. Violation of this process in that order, wash, rinse, sanitize, air dry would cause MAJOR point lose on the inspections.
    I have also seen suggestions that sanitizer solution be warm--a no-no in the restaurant because the warm solution caused the chemical to evaporate. Letting sit in sun is an excellent idea, but of course, we could not do that.

I know no one is going to change their minds on the order of rinsing and sanitizing but thought you might be interested.

8. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I know this is a really old thread, but I was doing some research and found it. I think the reason we rinse after disinfecting is because we want to make sure there are no fumes produced from the dried disinfectant (once the inside of the 'bator gets warm and moist) that might harm the developing embryos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by