1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Disinfecting after Mareck's

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jangrace, Sep 6, 2016.

1. jangrace

jangrace Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Help! Just lost 2 hens to Mareck's. They were new birds I was adding to my flock and still fquarantines, but were in a separate pen just outside the fence from my healthy 6 hens.

Any suggestions from anyone on how I can disinfect the ground where the infected birds were?

Thank you!!

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Their is nothing that I am aware of to get rid of Mereks once its on your property...Wild birds carry the disease...Sorry but all your Birds are at risk...Either carriers or will die from it...I always buy vaccinated Chicks and even then they are not 100% safe...

3. jangrace

Jun 10, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Thanks for your reply. I was told these were vaccinated pullets. Apparently not, or it wasnt done right. All my others were definitely vaccinated.
    is there any way to test the soil for presence of Mareck's?

As far as disinfecting, Cornell says bleach is good against all chicken viruses including Mareck's. I keep a clean coop, yard, food and water containers and always buy vaccinated chicks. In 6 yrs of keeping chickens I have never had this happen. This was sadly not a good idea to get pullets from another farm.But then they told me they always vaccinate their chicks.
    Hoping for a good outcome.

4. jangrace

Jun 10, 2011
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Guess I'll try dumping diluted bleach on the ground after wettng it and shoveling away the topsoil. Fortunately its only a 6' x6' area, and I have tarps up to protect my healthy flock from any dust.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yeah, Try what you can...Scary thing to hit your flock...I bought Chicks this year and all are vaccinated...I bought some pullets from a guy that were not vaccinated...I ended up with the LT1 Virus here...I was told to either cull all my birds or not introduce anymore without vaccinating them first....

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by