Disinfecting coop?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Jul 24, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Just wondering how everyone disinfects their duck coops when you clean them? Do you use any cleaning agent?

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I hose the duck house daily. If it needs more, I do a little bleach water and scrub, but hosing daily usually means I don't have to drag out the bleach water.

3. Kschwartz

Kschwartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Before I put new straw in every 2-3 days, I mop out my duck coop with Mr. Clean antibacterial and disinfecting multi-surface cleaning solution. I mix a couple cap-fulls with a gallon of water and it works well. Kills the scent too.

Of course I wait an hour or two before I let the ducks go back in there, so it airs out.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have over a foot of shavings as a base - I stir them often. A couple of times a year I pull it all out, compost it, and replace it with fresh shavings. I don't have to scrub anything down. The house has a linoleum floor that goes up the walls several inches, and some molding screwed onto the top so that poop doesn't get under the edge of the flooring.

I top the shavings with a few inches of straw. That gets changed out every couple of days.

When they were in the brooder, I'd wipe off the liner, spritz with vinegar, and wipe it off. Sometimes I'd add an H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) spritz after that.

I scrub out their swim pan with a solution of vinegar (approximately a cup), water (just over a pint) and several drops of lavender and rosemary essential oils.

If I were to need to totally disinfect, in case of disease, I'd use vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  6. mestaske

mestaske Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    Southern Colorado
    What kind of duck house is this? My ducks tend not to poop a lot inside their coop so I just add straw to their beds then I rake the outside to keep the old weeds they eat out of the way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by