Disinfecting for Mycoplasma

greenkjb

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 13, 2010
Ok all you experts...I was unfortunate to have a flock of birds infected with both strains of Mycoplasma. My coop has been empty of these birds for over 9 months. I have cleaned out the hen house and plan to douse it and the entire run in Oxine. Will that be good enough? Should I be concerned about my new babies being exposed? I've been told that mycoplasma does not live long when there are no chickens for it to live in. Thanks so much for any advice!

Myco cannot live longer than 3 days outside of its host. I would probably go over one more time with the Oxine and then you're good to go
smile.png

My flock has been infected as well, but I refuse to cull over a stupid bacteria. Since I only have a small backyard flock it's not a big deal, but I won't be adding any more birds.

I realise this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you knew how long it could live on the ground for? I have infected chickens that I refused to cull that I've allowed to free range. But I've bought new chicks and I'm worried about letting them out into my garden and housing them in a new coop/run in case they end up on some ground that the infected chickens have been on and get sick, especially as I hoped to breed from them in the future.

I realise this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you knew how long it could live on the ground for? I have infected chickens that I refused to cull that I've allowed to free range. But I've bought new chicks and I'm worried about letting them out into my garden and housing them in a new coop/run in case they end up on some ground that the infected chickens have been on and get sick, especially as I hoped to breed from them in the future.

My birds have been infected for a long time now and no, there's no way to prevent new birds from getting it. I currently have 7 chicks my hen hatched and they are going through the cycle all my new birds go through. They get sick, get medicated, and hopefully get better. If they don't get better then it just means their immune systems weren't up to par. The oldest infected birds I have are 2 years old now and haven't had a flare up in a year.

It sucks, but I just let it take its course through the new additions and then they're fine.

The problem isn't that the bacteria is in the ground, it's that the other birds are carriers and the others ARE going to get it. All you can do is be prepared unless you want to stop adding birds to your flock.

Back
Top Bottom