Disinfecting old coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sheila, Aug 2, 2007.

  1. Sheila

    Sheila Out Of The Brooder

    60
    0
    39
    Jul 23, 2007
    NW MA
    Think the chicks will be going out in about two or three weeks. Weather has been plenty hot. They will be overnighting in an old coop that hasn't been used for some years, not sure how many, but at least three. It is made of rough wood, and I've done a thorough sweeping and brushing down but am wondering if I should spray with a disinfectant, e.g., Clorox solution, to kill any old nasties. Would they last this long? If Clorox is safe, what proportion to a gallon of water would you use.

    Thanks.
     
  2. justusnak

    justusnak Flock Mistress

    If you think it might be infested...which I really doubt after that long...you could get some orange oil spray..and spray it all down inside. This will kill any lice/mites that would be in there, and it smells good...and wont hurt the chicks..let it air out a few days, and all will be well.
     
  3. speckledhen

    speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

    If it's really old and hasn't been used in umpteen years, there is probably not much in the way of disease still lingering, if there ever was. You could use any concentration of bleach if it has plenty of time to air out or use those new Anywhere-type sanitizing sprays that have no real bleach smell. I use those on my roost bars from time to time and just let it dry on there.
     
  4. silkiechicken

    silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

    Yeah, it's probably fine. After that many years I doubt anything that can harm you chickens from an old flock is still alive. To clean things I use a 1:10 solution of bleach to water.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by