disinfecting the coop

KensingtonHens

Songster
9 Years
Nov 30, 2010
SoCal
What should I be doing in this regard? We have 2 hens in an 8 ft by 4 ft run with coop. The coop is off the ground with a poo tray covered with pine shavings and DE (food grade), which I clean out weekly. The run bottom is hardware cloth for predetor proofing, on that I've put pine shavings, dirt and leaves. The run is not covered except with hardware cloth again.

Should I be disinfecting the run, their water bottle, etc. and with what and how frequently? We live in San Diego near the coast so it's been dry lately. There is some smell from the run and I put dry shavings in yesterday. What else should I be doing to keep things clean, dry and sanitary. They spend a lot of time in the run. I allow them to free range about 2-4 hours a day. I worry so much when they are out!!

Also, when they free range and poo all over the yard I step in it and then have to leave my shoes outside. I'm up to four pairs out there already. The dog runs out there and I'm sure steps in the poo then comes in the house. Should I be worried about germs and bacteria tracking into the house? What's a good way to deal with this issue?

Thanks in advance!

If chicken poop killed people there would be a lot less people on this forum!!! Better designate a pair of "coop shoes" and leave them by the back door! Normal routine cleaning should be fine. When you refill food and water containers give a wash with dish soap. No need to go crazy...I doubt the dog is stepping in poop- my guess is you just haven't caught him eating it yet!

Quote:
gig.gif

I feel better already!! That's kind of what I thought but then I get to reading some of these other posts and start to worry.

I did dedicate one pair then forgot and use another! So I don't have to be dipping my shoes and my dogs paws into a special disinfectant solution before coming back inside?!
big_smile.png

I have a friend who is a germ-a-phobe and she's got me worried all the time! I need new friends
hide.gif

It sounds like your setup is great! If you can hose down your lawn periodically, the poo "magically" disappears and disintegrates. You can put up some temporary fencing to keep your girls away from your house if the poo is an issue. They don't have to have full access to your yard unless you want them to. You can put bird netting over some REALLY short fencing to make a small run extension. I have done this and even the flying breeds can't get out. They can range over a 10 x 10 area or so, then you move the fencing when you want to.

My hubby cannot STAND poo everwhere.

I just use liquid dish soap on my waterers. I used to use bleach, but have figured out that they really get clean enough just washing them with a dish brush and soap. And it is a lot safer for the chooks.

Quote:
Extending the run is what I really want to do. I want to keep them off the patio and kind of corral them. How high should the fencing be and does it need to be covered? I could just add some 4ft, but wouldn't they just jump over it?

I don't live on a farm, I live in a subdivision and my chickens free range all through my yard, both front and back. They seem to love hanging out in my garage. With that being said it is like walking through a mine field to get into the house. Shoes come off at the door. So chicken poo is not a worry. I keep a scraper at hand to clear the "fields" I have chicken poo between my toes, between my fingers, and on my clothes. I am still here with no effects other than thinking about more chickens!
frow.gif

In the coop I use food grade DE sprinkled in to the pine shavings. That helps with odor and pests such as fleas and mites. That also helps with flies in the summer. Ihave never had an issue with flies in the coop and when I notice them in the run I will sprinkle some DE around.
If you want to disinfect your feeders and waterers you can use a solution of 1 part distilled white vinegar to 4 parts water. Also if you dut in a little cider vinegar that would help them as well.

Quote:
Extending the run is what I really want to do. I want to keep them off the patio and kind of corral them. How high should the fencing be and does it need to be covered? I could just add some 4ft, but wouldn't they just jump over it?

What I have done in the past is use anywhere from 3 to 4 foot fencing. I have the "U-posts" with the metal tabs on them that makes it easy to undo it daily if needed.

Then I cover the whole thing with bird netting- the cheap kind for blueberry bushes and such. It is lightweight and large. When I want to move it around, I undo the bird netting first, then the fencing, then the stakes.

A bonus is that a hawk once pounced down on top of my silkies. BOUNCE!!!! I had made it taut enough that it saved their lives. I witnessed it from my kitchen window.

This setup won't protect against dogs, though.

Last edited:
my guess is you just haven't caught him eating it yet!

100% true!
yuckyuck.gif

I have a pair of Wellies I keep by the back door as for use in the run.
240px-Wellies.jpg

72917_coop.jpg

The above is my before picture. The below image is after completing my re-model today. I added chicken wire all around the raised bed their coop sits in and covered it with bird mesh. My DH raised the roof of the girls coop for added light and ventilation. I still need to sink hardware cloth a foot down for pred. protection but not today. I'll lock them inside their coop for the night. This way I can add DE and pine shavings and it gives the girls more room and a cleaner enviorment.

72917_work_in_progress.jpg

72917_coop-remod.jpg

Taking Chickens are Sweet's advice!! Thank you!!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom