Disliking the hen at the top of the pecking order?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by flickerloo, Nov 27, 2013.

1. flickerloo

flickerloo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2013
    NW Washington
    My top hen just went into a hard molt. Kind of weird because she supposedly molted during late summer. She is a sweet and friendly hen, but clearly the boss. Unfortunately, as she now is feeling under the weather, a different hen has taken over the top of the pecking order, and it is one of two hens that I dislike because of their temperament.

Is it weird or wrong to be upset about this? She is so nasty that she will push everyone, including me, out of the way to get food, even when I am tending to a hen one to one. I really don't want a bully hen in charge.

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    You can take the bully hen, separate her for a couple days, and then re-introduce her to the flock in an attempt to lower her place in the pecking order. If she is extremely dominant, she may just take over again like nothing happened.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you don't like specific birds, sell them! You're not obligated to keep birds forever. I've had different animals over the years that just rubbed me the wrong way, and I simply sold or butchered them. This is my home, and I want harmony. I manage my animals for that.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by