1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dislocated beak?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkhope, Apr 30, 2007.

1. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Without going into much history, I received a mailing of day old chicks about two weeks ago. I have a mottled houdan that looks like her beak is dislocated. The top part of the beak is placed fine, the bottom is over to the right, it doesn't close completely. It is very noticeable now, actually seems to be worse then when I first noticed it a week ago.

I have been watching her closely to make sure she's eating and drinking, and she really is. She's very active as well. I have actually pinched the two parts back together (gently) with no fuss from her (she fussed more over picking off poo) but it goes back to this original dislocated looking position.

Should I worry over it? Is there anything I can do? Bless her heart, she looks so strange...

Thanks! I've been a lurker for quite some time!

2. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  3. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    You're great Stephanie! That is exactly it! I didn't know how common this way... glad to know they can live this way. I was very excited about having a houdan!

Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by