Dislocated leg????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickenpet, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Chickenpet

Chickenpet Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2013
    I have a Dominique hen 12 weeks old), who I found yesterday not being able to use her left leg or foot. She has no control over it. There is no wound or bleeding or swelling. She does not seem to be in any pain, but she can't get around or control that leg at all it just goes out from under her or dangles straight down if I hold her. Could it be dislocated? Is this fixable if so???
    Thanks for any advice.

2. DBlaz2

DBlaz2 New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    I had a hen with a similar problem recently. I was adding new birds to my flock and put the nee ones in a dog crate in the coop. This worked well until one of my original hens got her foot stuck in the top of the dog crate and fell off, hanging her upside down for who knows how long. Her leg was hurt, she couldnt walk n was lucky to still be alive. I brought her in the house and put her in a plastic bin with deep wood shavings to make it nice n comfy. The bin was just large enough for her to lay in and have a container of food and water. I just left her alone to heal and checked on her often. She layed around alot the first week and needed frequent cleaning as she was laying in her poop. Her leg is healing itself nicely. I have her in a bigger bin now and she walks decently. To let her get exercise I put a diaper on her with a hole cut for her tail and let her walk around the house for a bit. She seems strong enough to go back out to the coop and is giving us eggs daily. In another week im going to put her with her friends. Im giving her a little extra time so our roosters dont hurt her by trying to mate with her. I hope this helps you and your chicken

3. Chickenpet

Chickenpet Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2013
    Thank You. I Do Have Her In The Laundry Room In A Small Box, Just Large Enough For Her & Food & WAter. I Will Just TryTo Keep Her Comfortable & Watch Her.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by