Dislocated Neck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rosti, Dec 5, 2012.

1. rosti

rosti Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2012
    I "hijacked" a thread awhile ago about a chick I thought had a congested crop. Well, I have come to see that it is not anything to do with her crop. Take a look at this. Go down to the skeleton part. http://professorchickensdiseases.webs.com/anatomy.htm
    Trying to follow that, I made a drawing of how this chick's neck is. (By feel anyway) I'll have to post a link to the album as I can't figure out the pictures. http://s1164.photobucket.com/albums/q564/rosti2/
    It is the first 3 pictures.
    A couple of days ago, I also realized that at times, her head will actually turn upside down, and it takes her a long time to get it back how it was. I was gonna put her down but realized that she doesn't seem to be in pain, and she just acts like a normal chick although a little slower. Does anyone know what could have happened?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. dkosh

dkosh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Eastern MA
    Thanks for posting the pictures. I've never seen anything like that before in any of my hens. I would think even if she isn't in pain, she would have a hard time drinking and eating. She may need to be culled anyway. I'm sorry I don't have any ideas or suggestions. Good luck.

3. rosti

rosti Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2012
    Nope she doesn't have any trouble doing anything. That is why I decided not to put it down.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Try giving her a little vitamin E. how long has she been this way...

5. rosti

rosti Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2012
    About 2.5 weeks. How and in what form do I give Vitamin E?

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by