Dislocated wing...do I take her to a vet?? Update ......

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayyjayy, Aug 15, 2011.

1. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    So.....I went to the fair the other day and there was a Buff duck there for sale. I called the guy and he said he had an injured Khaki Campbell that had been attacked by a "yappy little dog". He would give them both to me for the price of one. I told him I wanted to see the duck first before I committed to an injured bird. I was thinking broken skin kind of wound. Nope....no blood or scabs or broken skin......just an injured wing. For the first couple of days, she was off balance and kept falling over. He said she has done better the last two days. So, I went and looked...and OF COURSE I took her. I wasn't gonna take the Buff friend from her. So, I think I have figured out that it is dislocated. My friend and I checked her out when I took her out of the crate I brought her home in. It hangs down, and when she does the tip toe standing and flapping of the wings....well, just one wing goes up. The other is pretty useless. My question.....can a vet fix her, that is IF I can find a vet that works on ducks? Is it worth it to take her, or just let her heal on her own like she is, which goes against my heart???

I took a picture tonight, but you can't really see the wing....I will try again tomorrow, but doubt I can get a good enough picture.

Thanks!

ETA: The guy told me she hasn't been eating because his turkeys weren't letting her, so he seperated them. She is pretty thinned out....how can I get her to gain some weight from this?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  2. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    No one has ever dealt with a dislocated wing??

3. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never heard of a dislocated wing. But I know with humans, an arm/shoulder needs to be put back in place by a pro before it is functional again, so I would say she probably needs to see a vet [​IMG] Poor thing.... I hope she gets better.

4. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I wonder if there's been some nerve damage. If it is dislocated it'll need to be put back ASAP. Never had a duck with a dislocated wing but my Dad dislocated his shoulder once and it was horrendously painful and took months to heal.

5. bayyjayy

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    So...I FINALLY caught that Khaki Campbell duck that I got on Monday that had an injured wing. I was thinking it was dislocated.......all week I have been just sick over her because she looks like she is in pain, and she hasn't been doing much but laying around....imagine that! So, I got her today and ran her up to the bird rehabilatation center and when the gal started examining her she said that the bone was already fused, which means that it was AT LEAST three weeks old, if not even older. Remember, the guy told me last Thursday that it happened "a couple of days ago", so that would make it last Tuesday, ten days-ish ago. Then, among further exam, she uncovered a HUGE scab on the top of her wing, and a pretty good sized one under her wing--picture a dog grabbing a hold of her with his mouth, biting on top and biting on bottom.....and he told me it was "a yappy little dog" on the original text, and then at his house when I picked her up, he said it was a chihuahua. The gal at the bird place placed her hands right where the scabs are and said, 'There is NO way that kind of dog did this". She said it was a pretty significant injury! So irritating! Really, does he have to lie? I was going to take her, regardless.....and what is funny (well, annoying actually) is I asked him if there was any blood or broken skin and he said no! Maybe not that day, but he should have told me that she DID have open wounds. So, she gave me nine days worth of antibiotics, weighed her....guess how much she weighed in at? 1 lb 6.5 oz!!!!! Yeah...she is THAT skinny. She felt her...forget the word, but her stomach that holds food, and she said it was completely empty. I now have her in a pet playpen in my yard with my other ducks so that they can see her and vice versa, and so that I can catch her each night and give her a PILL....they showed me how. UGH. Not looking forward to that!!! I will have to clip that one wing a couple of times a year so that it doesn't drag on the ground--especially for winter. I feel SOOOO bad that she has to be penned up...I know it is what is best.....still....hate it. She does too! I have a bin of water out there, some food, some peas, but so far no eating. Feel so bad for her. She is such a beauty, too! I will have to go take pics in a minute.

And.........I texted him and asked him what really happened and told him what the gal said to me.....I texted him....."what really attacked her? There is no way a chihuahua did that to her....the injury is at least three weeks old because the bone has already fused and can't be fixed .......I'd like to know what happened to her." He said, "Seriously, my sisters yappy chihuahua and her demonic rat/dog death grip" (no offense to any chihuahua owners....just passing on what he said! [​IMG]) I told him that "the scabs below and above her wing seems like too big of a space for a chihuahua.....plus the gal told me it was a pretty significant injury, so I am just curious." He wrote back, "Mostly chihuahua, some pincer" and when I asked how long ago, he said, "Around the last day of July". Hmmmmm.......that is way different from his first telling me it was last week!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by