Dislocated wing - will wrap, but needs to eat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Chickita, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Chicken Chickita

Chicken Chickita Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    I have a 19-week old Americauna who I just noticed has a dislocated wing. I just found a site that showed me how to properly wrap it against her body. I'm at work and will do so as soon as I get home. She is currently separated from the flock and in a cage in the house by herself with food and water. She is up and moving around but I haven't seen her eat. She didn't eat during the day yesterday or last night. She feels way too skinny. Does anyone know of a way to get her to eat? Does anyone have any other advice that might be helpful.

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

2. Phenomenon

Phenomenon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    Is she drinking? If not a small pipette will do the job. If she won't open up a gentle trickle on her beak will soon have her swallowing. [​IMG]

As for food, if she's off eating the last thing she'll fancy is a pellet or mash, so try some porridge oats cooked with water. Make sure it's not hot before offering it to your girl. A little bit on the end of a clean finger should see her take it and hopefully regain her appetite.

Good luck!

3. Chicken Chickita

Chicken Chickita Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Middleboro, MA
    Quote:Thank you. I appreciate the advice. I have used a pipette before with my other birds. I will try something soft like creamed oats or porridge. I'm wondering if anything with more protein would be a good idea. I once had a chicken stop eating and got way too skinny. Someone recommended meal worms because of the protein. She ate the meal worms but this one hasn't seemed interested in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by