1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DISLOCATED Wing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wolf-Kim, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I just went out to feed up and I usually start with the big coop, but I didn't, I fed everything else first. Which may have left the larger flock in a panicked food frenzy. When I went to get the larger flock's food, I noticed there was one of my 2-3 month old Dorking chicks laying on it's back. Dissapointed, I thought it had died, but I didn't see it there a few minutes before. As I walked around to get into the pen, I noticed it's head moving as it watched me. I thought it was weird it was having so much trouble righting itself. I threw the food to the older birds and went to upright the Dorking chick.

Thinking it just weird, I sat it on it's feet and see what happened. It immediately ran to the feed to compete in the frenzy, as though there was enough.. (feathered pigs [​IMG] )

It is dragging it's left wing, like it may be broken higher up near the joint. I hate to dispatch it, if it is something easily fixed. I have seperated it. I am thinking it may have been stepped on wrong by the older birds.

Do I just fold the wing and bandage it close to the body and wait?

How long do these things usually take for bird?

**UPDATE**

I've wrapped the wing close to her body to keep her from stepping on it. Now she is just laying on her side, watching me type. I think her wing is DISLOCATED and not broken. I couldn't see through her skin any broken bones, I couldn't move the wing in any way unatural. She has a "dark spot" on the dislocated wing right next to the (shoulder?) joint, and there is not a "dark spot" on her healthy wing.

How do I treat a dislocated wing?

Can it be treated without veterinary care?

Thanks
    -Kim

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  2. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I just looked and found this:

Take precautions to immobilize the wing. Using butcher, drafting, or masking tape (which isn't too sticky) tape the wing gently to the body.

me,
    g

3. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
  4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I'd just keep it wrapped up to the body to keep it as immobile as possible.

It may be fractured where you see that dark spot - that may be a bruise from the injury, or may be just dislocated. Techinically a fracture is a break in a bone where the bone doesn't puncture through the skin...not that terminology is that important here.

Anyway, since they can live quite well without two functioning wings, I'd keep it wrapped for a week, keep the bird in the hospital crate or brooder (confined in a smaller space with food and water...) and see how it goes.

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks everyone, I'll be sure to keep it wrapped up. She is seperated into her own cage, not happy about it, but she is. She squirmed out of my first attempt, so I'll try the tape advice and see how it goes.

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by