Disorientated Pullet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenMadd, Jan 21, 2017.

1. ChickenMadd

ChickenMadd New Egg

Jan 21, 2017
    Hi I've got a sick chicken! She's an australorp and about 10wks old. 2 days ago it was extremely hot and humid here and, although my hens had plenty of water, I noticed this little one was disorientated and had trouble with her balance (she kept tipping on her side). We've been keeping her inside since, giving her food and electrolytes, but she's pretty much the same as she was.
    Does anyone have any idea how I can help her? I think she may have heat stroke or and inner ear infection but I'm not sure. She still has a good appetite and is drinking plenty of water.

This is a photo of her after she has fallen on her side.
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She looks very sick and weak, so I would mainly try to give her electrolyte water carefully with a spoon to the beak or a dropper, carefully not to choke her. Is she pooping, and what does it look like. Coccidiosis can be a real problem at this age, and symptoms include diarrhea with mucus or blood, not eating, weakness, lethargy, and hunched posture. Corid or amprollium is the drug of choice found in feed stores or at your vets outside of the USA. Check in with us a little later to update us on her condition, and I hope you can save her.

3. ChickenMadd

ChickenMadd New Egg

Jan 21, 2017

Her poo is normal and not runny at all so I don't think it's a bacterial or fungal infection but I could be wrong. I'm going to try and get her some vitamins in case she has a deficiency.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How is your pullet doing today? I'm hoping she was just overheated or dehydrated, but there are quite a few things that can cause weakness or imbalance. Have you ever treated any sick chickens who may have died from an unknown illness? Was she vaccinated for anything? Are you outside of the US?

5. ChickenMadd

ChickenMadd New Egg

Jan 21, 2017
    I'm from Australia and yeah she has been vaccinated against all the major illnesses here. I have a feeling she was just super unlucky and still developed Mareks despite being vaccinated :( I'm getting her put to sleep this afternoon

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry to hear that. I would get a necropsy if possible to see what was going on. Does you vet think it is Mareks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by