Dispatched 1 dog 2 cats now i am sad.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MMPoultryFarms, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Songster

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    I am So sick to my stomach not long ago I had chickens coming up dead. I watched and watched but I never saw predetors in the coop. One day i saw a black cat laying between my hay barn and my brooder house. I placed my Shepard inbetween the coop and the barn. Sadly I came back from fishing just to find my shepard had managed to break part of his cable and hung himself.
    This instantly Fired me up for revenge. I loaded up the .22 and started hunting the cat I had seen. (chicks were still dieing) I saw the cat in my hay barn on a bail of hay and Took a heart shot killing it instantly. It fell down the hay chute. Later that day i see another cat I had seen before even at one point he got trapped inside the house, So i quickly Dispatched him also.
    Now with the cats dead and the chickens safe. I went out to my coop the next day and find 4 more dead chicks. After pondering it all day long. I was sitting in the yard with my lab we had for 3 years she was a drop off. She never hurt anything, heck you couldn't get her to chase or guard anything either. She wandered off disappearing somewhere I finished my chores and went to feed the babys when I get there I see body strung everywhere and my lab running in the coop grabbing a bird Killing it then running it outside and placing the dead birds in a nice neat pile. I shot her on the spot.
    1 week later my aussie shepard Brings a cat Up to the house. It was barely a week old and skin and bones. I rush the kitten to the vet and I go check the hay barn Sure enough there was these little tiny kittens who had actually fell down the chute. some were still up there in the hay bails. everyone of these cats were like walking skeletons. Trying to salvage some of the damage I caused. (hanging one dog, Killing 2 Cats) I ran to the store got some kitten milk supplament and I nursed all the kittens to good health. After Breathing back life into the kittens and an $80.00 vet bill I was able to home the kittens. I feel so bad that all these things had to die on my farm all because the darn Lab who we never suspected. I took a 37 total loss on that deal in chicks including 18 rares. Im so sad. [​IMG]

2. Tylt33

Tylt33 Songster

Jun 13, 2010
    Chico, California
    That has to be difficult, it sounds like there has been a lot of grieving to do! I suppose this has been a lesson for you, and maybe for others that read this as well; those that we suspect are not always the culprits! That's wonderful that you nursed the kittens back, killing a "parent animal" is emotionally and ethically difficult for most. As for your lab, if you have a chicken killing dog ever again you could look into re-homing it instead of killing it, would definitely take away some of the guilt.

3. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Songster

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:I was definatly not thinking clearly it was more of a You want to eat my chickens so be it moment. Its my kids who are devistated more so then I am, We now only turn the dogs loose at night after cooping all the birds. and your so right lesson learned here is. do not assume an animal isn't capable everyones a suspect till you catch one in the act. Perhaps trapping and rehoming will be my future path I will take. I dont ever want to see the little ones go threw this again.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    This whole thing is just so sad... ugh... [​IMG]

5. merryberry

merryberry In the Brooder

Jan 22, 2010
    Northeast Ohio
    I was definatly not thinking clearly it was more of a You want to eat my chickens so be it moment. Its my kids who are devistated more so then I am, We now only turn the dogs loose at night after cooping all the birds. and your so right lesson learned here is. do not assume an animal isn't capable everyones a suspect till you catch one in the act. Perhaps trapping and rehoming will be my future path I will take. I dont ever want to see the little ones go threw this again.

At least by posting your experience, you might save someone else from "having to learn the hard way."​

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  6. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Songster

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I'm so sorry those animals had to die. It was good of you to nurse the kittens back to health. But, you really did owe it to them. [​IMG]

It really is important to catch an animal in the act before you grab a gun. This just makes me sick to my stomach. . .

7. spottedtail

spottedtail Songster

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    Sorry to hear about your loss MM, but I hope many here will read your
    posts. You may save some misery for others if they will learn from
    your experience.

So many people say "No, my dog can be trusted , he never has
    and never will go after my birds... Never."
    It may be small, but the chance of disaster is always there
    when dogs have access to poultry.

spot