disposal of roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by McCauleyCoop, Feb 1, 2015.

1. McCauleyCoop

McCauleyCoop Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2014
    Springwater, New York
    These are my daughters chickens, as previously posted, we have the 12 from TSC, (was 13 but neighbors dog got one on that last warm day in Dec.) and the 15 Americaunas and one exotic, (the Dominique).

We have finally got them all together in one coop now and all are about the same sizes.

Is there an optimal age/size, when it's better or more productive to get rid of a rooster?

We wound up with 2 Americauna and 1 Dominique rooster out of a 16 chick order last july. They seem to get along ok with each other but are riding the girls rather hard. 1 roo in particular is nasty to the hens, he gets the boot if I catch him at it.

But wondering if the local livestock auction is worth the time/fuel for 2 roos or just the axe?

And if it's better to do it now or when a few months older/larger?

2. ChickenKickin

ChickenKickin New Egg

Mar 4, 2014
    So they are about 7 months old? Then yes, now would be the best time to butcher them.

They are nearly full grown and any additional weight gain would be negligible at best. It simply wouldn't be worth the cost of feed.
    I think the ideal time to butcher most heritage breeds is 3-6 months.

I doubt it would be worth taking them to a livestock auction either. I can go on Caigslist in my area nearly any time of the year and find free roosters. Common breeds of course, which yours are.

I am partial to chicken pot pie. [​IMG]

Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by