disposal of wood shavings?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ozark hen, Apr 27, 2007.

1. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Used wood shavings... I have just started scattering mine after each cleaning on top the newly planted garden spots, chick poo and all. Has anyone else been doing this? I have been raising twenty chicks in two large RubberMaid tubs in the house and change their shavings every two days. thanks for your input. I might add, these shavings are from bales I purchased for the chicks when we bought them.

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

That's what I do with mine. I also scatter in out in the woods under the trees where it can benefit them as fertilizer.

I think you just have to be careful not to put too much in any one place because it's pretty potent.

Good luck with your chickies!!

Lori

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, all compost ables from my chickens, left overs, and scraps just get tossed all over the ground till growing season. During summer months. it is just plopped into one big stinky mess on the ground to be tilled in at the end of season after the birds go though it.

4. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    thanks, thought it would be fine but just better off double checking. [​IMG]

5. tabsmonsters

tabsmonsters Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    Ozark Hen,

My husbands family is down between mansfield and hartville area. Nice to see someone from the area!

6. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Hi tabmonsters, yes, we are located about three miles south of Hartville.

7. daubernut

daubernut Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2007
    Stuff works great on rhubarb as rhubarb is such a heavy feeder. We put a heavy dose in the fall and rhubarb pokes through real early cause it is kept so warm.

8. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    daubernut- that is good to know. I put some rhubarb out last year and the late heavy freeze nipped it back. I will put some on it, thanks for the headsup.

9. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I rototill mine into the garden beds in the spring.

10. ozark hen

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    it is so nice not to have to worry about commercial fertilizers again. I love having everything "natural".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by