Disrespectful kids

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PotterWatch, Jan 11, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sometimes I feel like the last parent left in this neighborhood who teaches their children to have respect for the property of others. If my kids play at someone else's house, I expect them to help pick up before they leave. Before getting out certain things to play with, I expect them to ask permission. Now granted, there have been times they have forgotten to help tidy up before they leave, but for the most part, I think they are fairly respectful. The other kids who live around here, however, are NOT!

Every time we let other kids come over, I ask them to please help pick up before they leave. They have never done so. Several weeks ago, they got into a box of gelt that I had bought for an upcoming Chanukah party, opened every single packet and had the coins outside playing with them. Today, I went in the playroom to discover that they had gotten into the playdough and left it all sitting out and drying up. This was brand new playdoh I got my kids for Chanukah because the neighbor kids had ruined all their other playdoh. They (along with my kids), took some toys out to the playset and both my husband and I asked that they help return the toys to the house when they were done... my kids just got finished doing it alone. Now I'm sure some of this could be avoided if I sat in the same room as the kids the entire time, but come on! The kids range in ages from 7-11, so I really shouldn't have to be watching them every single second.

I have finally decided that none of the neighbor kids are allowed in our house any longer. They are still welcome to play in the front or backyards, but they are absolutely not allowed in the house. I think it's unfortunate that it has come to that, but for goodness sake... have some respect for other people's property!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i agree...i wouldnt let them in anymore either....they are old enough to listen to you and help pick up their mess....

3. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    I agree. We have friends over with their parents and they don't make the kids clean up! My kids will start picking up toys and their kids just run off and grab their coats and shoes, then they are all out the door. It amazes me that people think this is normal and polite behavior. [​IMG]

4. garnet

garnet Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I think I would preface the next visit with "We really want you to be able to come here and play. But it makes me sad and my kids sad when they have to do all the cleanign up when you leave. So I'd like you to promise to help my kids pick up when you are here, and I'll make sure they pick up when they play at your house. We just want to be fair."

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You'd think that would help wouldn't you garnet? I've tried saying almost that same thing, but it hasn't helped a bit.

6. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I don't like kids that aren't mine. Mine I can spank. I like that.

7. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Disrespectful children are the norm these days, I fear. It's like parents are remiss to put the hammer down. It's especially difficult when they are related... On Christmas day, while I slaved in the kitchen, I caught my nephews (ages 4 and 6) jumping from chair to chair to coffee table to sofa -- round and round my living room. I about passed out. My DH just kept filling my wine glass and reminded me they'd be leaving in a few hours. Worse yet - their parents were in the room and the kids were jumping OVER them. It was unbelievable.

As for your neighbors, they obviously don't care, and their parents are clueless, so I'd say OUTSIDE with you!

8. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I have actually called the parents of my kids friends and asked them to send them back over to help pick up. or if there is a kid over to visit they have to clean before they can leave. if the parents are picking them up they will have to wait until I am satified with the way it looks!! and if my kids want some one to come over thier rooms HAVE to be clean before some one can come over that way the visitor cant say they didnt make the mess....

Also I would call the parent and tell them that thier kid opened something while at your house without asking.... if the parents say it wasnt thier kid (make sure you ask if your kids opened it first) well ,we all know that the apple doesnt fall far from the tree now does it.. I bet you that the parents fix the problem.... chances are they have NO IDEA thier kids are doing this.... then again who knows they could be like some of my neighbors and know know thier 3 year old kids running down the street at subzero temp in nothing but a diaper. I dont just let my kids go to the neighbors house alone. I would go with my kids... they are 6 and 8... and my kids are not old enuff.. I doubt they will be old enuff at 15..... but thats just me!

9. garnet

garnet Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Quote:I'm sorry. Our kids had so called friends like that too, and finally we just had to ask them to stop coming over.

10. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I am pretty firm with the neighborhood kids.. it does work if you given them consequenses..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by