Dissapearing beards?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amy's Animals, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I have 3 EE's that have muffs and beards. At first, I noticed that one of the hens was losing her beard, its just a bald spot at her throath now, and now my EE rooster is losing his as well. The third hen's beard is intact. These are all healthy chickens, no deceases or pests that I'm aware of. Should I suspect a pecking issue?

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Yes! It's a pretty common problem. [​IMG]

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I don't know that I would suspect a pecking problem if it is only their beard. Pickers usually go for the feathers right above the tail, since they are easiest to pick. Have you checked them over for lice and mites really well?

4. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    Mine look the same way. I have even seen other birds peck their beards and the crazy EE just stand there and let them peck.

5. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    My Ameraucana currently has a bare throat as well.
    I figured it was a summer thing.

6. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:I don't know if thats true, because that first hen has had it for quite a while, I think she got it this spring or perhaps early summer.

7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Amy's Animals :

I have 3 EE's that have muffs and beards. At first, I noticed that one of the hens was losing her beard, its just a bald spot at her throath now, and now my EE rooster is losing his as well. The third hen's beard is intact. These are all healthy chickens, no deceases or pests that I'm aware of. Should I suspect a pecking issue?

Most likely. And it sounds like your 3rd hen is the culprit. I'd be quick to establish who is it and try and resolve the issue before the other birds learn a new trick. You have my fullest sympathies. I have just gone through the same thing and it became potentially lethal-my Polish were getting some good pecks on the noggin. I had left the issue unresolved for so long that even the young ones were learning this new trick. At the point were some of my birds could have been damaged for life did I really take action. Even taking away birds for an isolation period, hot-pick, or pine tar did nothing to stop the issue. The only way we were able to stop it was by removing the bullying peckers. We gave them so some friends of ours. And now our birds are much better mannered and some have regrown feathers for the first time in over a year.

However, besides the cause being a bad habit, it could also be because they aren't getting enough protein (feathers and blood drawn by pecking contains protein) or do not have enough room/are bored. Look into those first.​

8. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I don't normally have picking problems but on bearded birds, yep.......maybe they get food on their beards and that starts it? Food flavored beards yum.

9. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Yep- we have a gorgeous EE who sports the smallest of beards...so she eats everyone else's to be certain no one else can top hers.

Everyone looks like they have these grizzled red necks w/stubble...nice! [​IMG]

10. 8HesperiaChickens

8HesperiaChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Hesperia
    My EEs loose their beards every year about this time...by late fall they are in full molt and in winter all the feathers come back including their beards and muffs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by